WESTLAND, MICHIGAN 2001
ELOISE was once one of the largest mental hospitals in the country. At one time it housed over 8,000 people who were mentally ill, had TB, or were just very poor. It was opened in 1839 as The Wayne County Poorhouse. In 1945 it was renamed The Wayne County General Hospital, but people have continues to call it simply "Eloise. In the 1950's such crude methods for treatment included insulin and electro-shock therapy. There have been many reports of patients being beaten, unsanitary conditions, and overcrowding during this time period. 3,800 mental patients were crammed into quarters meant to house 2,500. 125 women shared 5 toilets. In 1964 new theories for treatment arose, and patients at Eloise were often released after 90 days. In the 60's and 70's two new buildings were built: a medical hospital and a long-term car facility. By 1987, six years after closing, Eloise was reduced to 8 buildings. It has long been known as the "crazy hospital". There once was a morgue on the property, as well as a cemetery. The old Eloise cemetery is located across the street from the main buildings. There are as many as 7,145 former Eloise patients buried there. The last burial took place around 1948.